QuickBooks Error The File Exists is a kind of error that prevails in the QuickBooks software when a user downloads payroll updates, opens a state and federal form, and does transactions of scheduled liabilities. This is just a glance for you but in this post, we will include everything associated with this QuickBooks error. Let’s firstly know about QuickBooks.
QuickBooks, by Intuit, is defined as the accounting management software application mostly used by businesses, firms, start-ups, etc. for tracking employees’ data, creating tax receipts, reports, and bills, and systemization of other inventories, etc.
With all these features, still many bugs, errors, technical problems, etc. arise in the system. These issues cause hindrance in your work and for your assistance, we will be talking about “QuickBooks Error The File Exists”. Let us begin now.
What is Quickbooks Error The File Exists?
Quickbooks Error Message The File Exists is a QuickBooks error that can be witnessed in the system because of the process of downloading, updating payrolls, opening state/federal forms, and doing scheduled liabilities transactions. An error message stating – “QuickBooks windows error the file exists” will come up.
Reasons For QuickBooks Error The File Exists
A list of possible reasons has been given below to help you with the occurrence of this error.
- Internet connection setup and firewall configuration are incorrect and unstable.
- Accessing different files all at once.
- QuickBooks is outdated and old.
- Unclean and improper installation of the software.
- Interruption of Windows User Account Control.
- No admin access to your system.
Resolve QuickBooks Error The File Exists: 5 Methods
1. Update The QuickBooks Desktop Software
- In the presence of the error, tap again and again on the error message and then exit QBs if the error is not resolved.
- Re-open the software and we will now go to update it to its latest release.
- Go to the menu Help and click on it.
- Hit on Update QuickBooks Desktop.
- Click on the option Update Now.
- Select the option Reset Update and remove all the existing old updates present in the system.
- Tap on the tab Get Updates and downloading of the updates will begin.
- After updates download, hit on Install.
- Now, restart your PC.
- After the reboot, run the application with administrator rights:
- Right-Click on the Program option.
- Click on Run as Administrator.
In case your errors have been resolved, you can change the settings for allowing automatic updates. As the automatic updates are switched on, It will self-update QBs.
2. Disable The Windows User Account Control
- Firstly, you have to access the Windows settings.
- Go to User Account Control and tap on it.
- If UAC is switched on, then switch it off.
- Lastly, you are required to reboot your system and update QuickBooks Payroll.
3. Use Reboot.bat File To Re-register QuickBooks .OCX and .DLL File
The installation of QBs is re-registered by Reboot.bat that aids in fixing the QuickBooks Error The File Exists error. The process has been given.
- First, you have to exit QuickBooks and other related applications.
- Run the QuickBooks application software and choose Properties.
- Go for the Open File Location and you will see a folder name Reboot.bat.
- Tap on Reboot.bat and then go for Run as Administrator.
- In a few seconds, a window will come and close automatically.
- Now, reboot the PC and check if the ‘Quickbooks The Windows Error Was The File’ is present or not.
4. Allow Full Control Access
- Firstly, you have to right-click on QuickBooks and go for the option Open File Location.
- Make use of the Backspace key for removing the file address.
- After this, right-click on QuickBooks and choose the option Properties.
- Search for the tab Security Section and tap on Edit.
- Choose Add and then Everyone. Tap on OK.
- Now, you must reach out for the option Full Control.
- Choose the option Apply.
- After all these steps, reboot the system.
5. Re-installation Of QuickBooks
- On the keyboard, press Ctrl + R to open the run window.
- Type in “appwiz.cpl”.
- Click on QuickBooks two times and then you need to select Uninstall.
- Delete the software from your system.
- Once the uninstallation is finished, do a clean and proper installation again via Intuits’ website.
- After downloading, you have to run the .exe file QuickBooks and install it by doing as per the instructions on the desktop screen.
Related Article: Repair QuickBooks Unexpected Error 5 Quickly (Solutions Guide)
Quickbooks Error Message The File Exists is a QuickBooks error that can be witnessed in the system because of the process of downloading, updating payrolls, opening state/federal forms, and doing scheduled liabilities transactions. An error message stating – “QuickBooks windows error the file exists” will come up. We have given all the concepts related to Quickbooks Error THE FILE EXISTS. For more help, contact the QuickBooks customer care support available 24×7.